So I thought I already posted this, but I didn't, so let's pretend I posted it on June 16, ok?
Last year we had a wonderful German student named Domi come and stay with us. Before she left we said that we'd come and visit her one day. Well that day was Monday (June 13). She met us at the train station in the small, beautiful town of Bad König and drove us to her house. Her family owns a hotel (the only hotel in Bad König!) and a restaurant, and they let us stay in one of hotel rooms. The time we were there also happened to be the same time that the fair was in town. Domi was waitressing at one of the restaurants there so she took us along to check it out. Before her shift started we all went on a ride called XXL. It was crazy. It was kind of like a gravitron, but it swung back and forth eventually reaching a height of 45 metres! It was so much fun! Then Domi went to work, so Annalea and I went on one more ride, bought a couple souvenirs, then headed back to the hotel. Once we got there, Domi's mom invited us to eat dinner in the restaurant. We happily obliged and were first served an asparagus mousse with caramelized sugar on top of it. We also were given bread, like most restaurants do, but instead of the standard olive oil and balsamic vinegar to accompany it, they served homemade honey butter and tomato butter. Then we both had an asparagus soup. For the entrée I had wiener schnitzel with fried potatoes and mushrooms, and Annalea had a slice of pork and dumplings (apparantly a very German dish). For dessert, they brought a slice of a pastry with cherries and cranberries with ice-cream on the side. Around the edge of the plate, in chocolate drizzle, was written "Wonderful to have you here Marlies.":) Everything was unbelievably delicious!
The next day, Domi took us into Michelstadt (the next town over) to look around there. We walked down some of the old streets and then went to a little cake and ice cream shop. Apparently, this place won the world pastry championship for the best cake and ice cream in Europe. So, of course we tried both the cake and the ice cream. I had chocolate and rhubarb ice cream, Annalea had vanilla and cherry, and we shared a piece of raspberry chocolate cake. It was all very delicious. After that, we all went to a health spa/swimming pool and hot tub where Annalea and I each got a massage. It was so relaxing and a perfect remedy to aching back muscles from carrying heavy packs.
After that, we all went for dinner back at the restaurant. It was once again incredibly delicious. We were first given a very flavourful meatball. It was small, but so delicious; Annalea claimed it to be the best meatball she's ever had. Then we had bread with honey butter and tomato butter. I had an asparagus soup again, and Annalea tried the pumpkin soup. For the main course I had an amazing bacon dumpling with fried mushrooms, all sitting in a creamy mushroom sauce. Annalea had some marinated beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. For dessert, we had some refreshing orange sorbet with caramelized sugar on top of it. Everything was amazing!
I couldn't really get over how incredibly generous it was of them to give us all this delicious food, which her dad cooks himself, as well as let us stay in their beautiful hotel all at no charge! It felt very strange (and very nice:) ) to be so spoiled after a month and a half of backpacking.
The next day we had to head off, so we said goodbye to Domi and her family, then took the train to Rüdesheim.
No comments:
Post a Comment